Sunday, July 15, 2007

One Step Forward | One Back

As a women, some days I just wonder how far we have progressed. This weekend, I saw two articles referencing the departure of Chatelaine magazine Editor In Chief, Sara Angel.
Apparently it was a sudden departure, so assume why the media interest.

Below are the two article headlines, links to read the full articles, and quotes from the articles in reference to this post.

As you read the articles, consider this question...if Sara Angel were a John Angel, would the fact he was a new father with 2 children be mentioned in the context of the story, when reasons for the departure are not known? I think not. Yes, personal matters may play a part in anyone's decision, but at this point it is all surmise. I feel that children and parenting references would not have been mentioned in early stories about a man in a similar situation.


GLOBE AND MAIL Article:
Headline: Chatelaine Editor Abruptly Resigns by James Adams

In a brief interview yesterday from her home in Toronto, Ms. Angel, 37, said she resigned Thursday "for personal reasons . . . that I can't get into now. But I do want to stress that I do have very positive feelings toward the magazine."
Ms. Angel, who gave birth to her second child last fall, said she has no new job. "At this stage, I'm looking forward to taking a hiatus in my career and some time off."


CBC.CA Article
Headline: Chatelaine Editor In Chief Steps Down
(byline - CBC Arts, but seems to be reworked from Globe story)

The 37-year-old mother of two told the newspaper that she left her job Thursday "for personal reasons" but declined to divulge details. Angel gave birth to her second child last fall.

So why One Step Forward | One Back....well, it seems women in the workforce are not allowed to escape from their reality of being a mother. I just feel that a man's reality of being a father is seldom positioned in public, in fact or conjecture.